As users seek clarity, one question looms large: Are Airtags rechargeable?
In this guide, we will provide a clear and concise answer to this essential query.
Simply put, Apple’s AirTags are not rechargeable. They use a CR2032 coin cell battery, which is user-replaceable. When the battery is low, you’ll receive a notification on your paired device, and you can easily replace the battery yourself.
However, there are a few types of AirTag batteries that technically can be recharged. This is often not feasible, since buying a new AirTag battery would be more efficient, but the complete answer is that some AirTag batteries might be rechargeable.
How long does an AirTag battery last?
An AirTag battery can last at least one year with typical usage, and typically even more than that, since they are designed to be energy-efficient. In my experience, no AirTag I’ve owned has had a battery last less than a year, and some have lasted almost two years.
However, factors like the frequency of tracking and the distance from your connected Apple device can affect battery consumption. When the battery is running low, you’ll receive a notification on your Apple device, signaling it’s time for a replacement.
Fortunately, replacing the battery is straightforward, as AirTags uses standard coin-cell batteries readily available at most stores. This user-friendly design ensures that you can continue relying on your AirTag for years without significant hassle or cost.
AirTags do not require charging.
When the battery runs out, you simply replace it with a new one. This means there’s no need to worry about recharging AirTag, they are designed for convenience and long-term use.
The CR2032 coin-cell batteries that AirTags use are widely available at most stores. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for replacing the battery to ensure it continues to work seamlessly for tracking your belongings.
Find out if you need to replace the battery
To find out if you need to replace the battery in your AirTag, follow these steps:
- Ensure that your AirTag is connected to your Apple device and that you have Bluetooth enabled.
- Open the “Find My” app on your Apple device.
- In the “Items” tab, locate your AirTag in the list of tracked items.
- If the battery of your AirTag is running low, you will see a notification or an indication that the battery is low next to the AirTag’s name.
- Alternatively, you can tap on the AirTag’s name to view more details. There, you should see information about the battery status. If it’s running low, it will be indicated there.
- If you receive a low battery notification or see that the battery status is low, it’s time to replace the battery.
How to replace the battery in your AirTag
Replacing the battery in your AirTag is a straightforward process.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- What you will need: before you begin, you will need your AirTag, a new CR2032 coin-cell battery, and a clean flat surface.
- Prepare your work area: Ensure you’re working in a clean, well-lit area. Lay out all your materials, including the new battery and your AirTag.
- Open your AirTag: Hold your AirTag with the stainless steel side facing up. Then, twist the stainless steel side counterclockwise (left) to open it. You should feel the top part of the AirTag separate from the bottom.
- Remove the old battery: Carefully remove the old battery from the bottom part of the AirTag. You can use your fingers or a small tool, such as a coin or a flat screwdriver, to gently pop out the old battery.
- Insert the new battery: Take your new CR2032 coin-cell battery and make sure the positive (+) side is facing up. Insert it into the battery compartment of the AirTag.
- Close your AirTag: With the new battery in place, align the top part of your AirTag with the bottom. Hold both sides together and twist the stainless steel side clockwise (right) to close it. Make sure it’s securely closed.
- Check for activation: After replacing the battery and closing the AirTag, it should be activated and ready for use. Your Apple device should automatically recognize it. If not, open the “Find My” app on your device and ensure your AirTag is listed as connected.
- Dispose of the old battery properly: Make sure to dispose of the old battery by local regulations. Many electronics stores or recycling centers accept used batteries for safe disposal.
- That’s it! Your AirTag should now be powered by a new battery and ready to help you track your belongings effectively. Remember that AirTag batteries typically last around a year, so you may need to repeat this process periodically to keep your AirTag functioning optimally.